Non-Fiction Editing Services
I would love to work with you on your blog posts, articles, essays or book projects.
Developmental editing involves looking at the big picture of a project and improving its structure and content. Usually, a writer will already have something down on the page, even an entire first draft, before coming to a developmental editor. However, if you are at the very beginning of your writing process, there is opportunity to talk about the big picture ideas to help you get started.
The questions I can help you answer throughout your writing process are:
- What do I want to say?
- How do I want to say it?
- What’s the best way to organize my essay or book?
- What is the theme and am I illustrating it the best way possible?
- How do I best satisfy my readers?
This involves looking at each line and making suggestions to clarify meaning, ensure flow and refine language by making suggestions to:
- Eliminate jargon, cliches and euphemisms
- Maintain appropriate language level
- Adjust the length and structure of sentences and paragraphs
- Maintain an appropriate voice or mood
- Edit for grammar, spelling, punctuation
Sign up for my newsletter
Are you interested in writing tips, prompts, book + article recommendations and info on upcoming workshops?
Sign up for my monthly newsletter, Lit-Lover News, and receive a free copy of Taslim's recommended "Mini-MFA textbooks"!
Being a writer means taking the leap from listening to saying, ‘Listen to me.’