Vegan and non-vegan foodies alike, rejoice! Here’s the perfect zucchini loaf for lunches, after-school snacks, simple breakfast options or a dessert you can feel good about serving the family. (I’m not going to say ‘Serve warm with a scoop of French vanilla ice cream’ because you already thought of that, didn’t you?)
I basically took a recipe I found on the internet that turned out way too sweet (it had 2 cups of brown sugar!) which basically killed my efforts of baking up a healthy treat. So I got a little creative and came up with a recipe that, even the kids agreed, is much better on the conscience and the palate.
The Best (Vegan) Zucchini Loaf Ever – makes 2 loaves
Here’s what you need:
6 tbsp ground flax seeds
1/2 c warm water
1 cup coconut sugar
1 cup applesauce (just boil some peeled, cubed apples and mash)
1/2 cup grapeseed oil
1 tsp vanilla
2 1/2 cups zucchini, grated
2 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup amaranth flour
1 tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tbsp ground cinnamon
2 tsp nutmeg (optional)
1 tsp salt
** You can add 1 cup of chocolate chips or 1 cup of raisins if you like
Here’s what you do:
- Grease two loaf pans and preheat oven to 350F.
- Mix together ground flax seeds and warm water in a medium sized bowl.
- Add sugar, oil, applesauce and vanilla; mix well.
- Add grated zucchini; stir till combined.
- In a large bowl, sift together the dry ingredients.
- Add dry mixture to wet mixture and stir until just combined. Fold in your chocolate chips or raisins, if using.
- Divide batter evenly between two pans.
- Bake at 350F for 50-55 mins or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool before cutting.