I have always believed you can make money doing what you love. It’s an idea I’ve preached to nay-sayers, and to people with talent and passion oozing from every part of them who feel stuck in jobs that don’t tap into their heart desires. There was a time I was saying it so much I even joked about getting a T-shirt made to save my voice.
Of course, every time I made that bold statement I was met with the question, HOW?
Today, I’m sharing 5 things you need if you want to earn an income doing what you love.
1. Hustle. That word is everywhere in business development networks. What does it mean? Hustle, put simply, is doing what you need to do. And you do it hard, you do it relentlessly, and you don’t whine and complain about it. Hustle is waking up at 4 am before your day job starts so you can work on the business idea you are developing on the side. Hustle is reading up on a subject you need to master to be an equal in the industry you want to break into. It’s active.
2. Heart. Now we’re bringing in a word from the new-agey, hippie types. It most definitely has its place in this matrix – after all, without heart, you aren’t living a passionate life! What’s the thing you would want to wake up at 4 am for? What’s the thing that’s fueling your hustle? If you don’t want something with your heart, there’s no point trying to hustle toward it. Because you might get there, but it’s not really where you want to be. Get your ‘heart’ sorted out. Know what drives you and how you want to make your mark on this world.
3. Health. Mentally and physically, you need to be performing at your optimum. I think of this part as clearing out cobwebs so you can move forward without getting stuck in crap you don’t want to get stuck in. Unfortunately, because this part doesn’t seem directly related to your fabulous idea to start your own fashion line, it can fall by the wayside. But we all know it makes sense; we have to get this body and mind on board. So, choose fruits over chips for your snack, or bike instead of drive, or move past that 20-year-old grudge – whatever it takes to ensure you will have the quality of life you need to achieve your goals…and of course, to enjoy the lifestyle you are working hard to create.
4. Hope. Never lose hope. There is an old proverb that goes, “He who has hope has everything.” I totally believe that. Even if your current venture seems to be pooping out despite the efforts you make in the areas above, never lose hope that you are destined for an amazing existence. If you’re putting in the work, and you’ve got your passion and health on board, there are opportunities all around you. Believe that the light will never go out for you; there is always a need and place for who you truly are.
5. Honour. Honour yourself by believing that you are capable, talented, and deserving. This was a step I had to take in order to move forward in my career as a writer. I couldn’t figure out why I wasn’t busting through a plateau I was stuck on until I realized, it was because I was telling myself I wasn’t as good as others in the industry. Or I hadn’t been doing it long enough. Or I didn’t have enough knowledge. There were probably several months of this kind of self-talk but it took one conversation with a fellow writer at just the right time in my life to really understand my worth (thanks, Salma!). Since that conversation I have honoured myself by setting boundaries and terms that tell myself I am worthy – and it has added a whole new dimension to my career and personal outlook.
Whether you are starting a new business venture or trying to land an existing position in a field you love – I hope these 5 factors make their way into your plan. May that plan lead you to a happy, healthy, abundant life!